- Technical FAQ [Audio] How to play multi-sound in my app? 14-Oct-2014
See Playing multi-sound for detailed guidance and sample code.
- Technical FAQ [General] Is there a method to receive Back key event in my app? 06-Oct-2014
For your reference, Back or Exit button is not required in webOS TV app UI.
- Technical FAQ [webOS Service] Do I need any library when calling webOS services? 12-Aug-2014
Yes, you need webOS.js that is needed to be included in your app when calling webOS services. You can download the webOS library file from this website.
Refer to the following articles.
- Technical FAQ [Virtual Keyboard] FAQ on Virtual Keyboard 01-Aug-2014
Q1. Can I set the virtual keyboard on webOS to be disabled?
No, the virtual keyboard cannot be disabled.
Q2. Can I use my own keyboard instead of using the virtual keyboard on webOS?
Sure. In this case, a developer must implement your own keyboard without using input tag because using input tag will automatically invoke webOS virtual keyboard. Also, keyboard arrays, key mapping, and event handling should be developed. Some features like voice recognition may be restricted for use. When implementing your own keyboard, it is recommended to have different layouts for different input types as it is implemented in webOS TV Virtual Keyboard.
Q3. How many languages can the virtual keyboard provide?
The virtual keyboard has a Language button on the top left. The languages can be set up to 5 including the local language and English by clicking on SETTINGS icon.
Q4. Can I use the virtual keyboard library provided by the NetCast platform on the webOS platform?
No. The NetCast-based virtual keyboard library cannot be used on the webOS platform. If using it on the webOS platform, webOS APIs and the features like voice recognition and HID can malfunction.
Q5. I have a plan to deploy the NetCast app to the webOS TV. But the NetCast app has included the virtual keyboard library. In this case, can the virtual keyboard library operate properly on webOS TV?
Yes. But the NetCast-based virtual keyboard library should be updated to the latest version to be used on the webOS platform. If you do not update to the latest virtual keyboard library, you may not use a few features such as voice recognition and HID keyboard and etc. on webOS TV.
Click here to download the latest version of virtual keyboard library and guide.
- Technical FAQ [App Test] FAQ on App Test 22-Jul-2014
Q1. Checklists before launching the app on TV with USB
- Did you follow the step-by-step guidance of App Test? Check again at the developer site guidance including File Type, USB Directory Path, etc.
- Do not use Korean characters for the packaged file name.
- Is your TV connected to network?
- Are you logged-in to webOS TV?
- Does your app run on emulator normally?
- In case you are a LGE member or partner member, check if your TV is for production, not for internal development, test or QA. For App Test, general production TV should be used.
Q2. Although I checked all checklists in Q1, the app is not launched on TV normally. What should I do?
When testing application on Real TV, the DRM-packaged application must receive the key from SDP for decryption. But the key may be delayed or not received depending on the network status. In this case, you can try to input USB again.
Also, applications on USB have the different decryption keys. If one application was displayed on TV but the other applications were not displayed on TV, it means only one application received the key for decryption. In this case, create a New App Test and retry testing app on TV again.
Additionally, check the following notes:
- Once an application is installed through USB, it is executable on maximum 5 devices with same LG Apps IDs.
- If an application has been executed with ID “A”, the application is not shown on other TVs with ID “B”.
- However, once an application is installed on TV, it can be shown with different IDs on the same TV.
Q3. Are their app ID constraints?
The ID cannot start with the following reverse domain names: com.palm, com.webos, com.lge, com.palmdts
Q4. Although App icon is packaged within app file, should I upload an app icon in App Test page?
Yes, you should upload an app icon file and actually this is not used for your app.
Q5. Can I test JS service app in TV?
No, currently you cannot test JS service app in TV. Use webOS TV emulator for testing JS service app.
Q6. Where can I find my installed app on webOS TV?
You have to start Launcher by pressing Home key in RCU. New applications are always installed to the 9th position in the list.
Q7. Can I upload same app on App Test many times?
No. When you upload a new app, the app ID should be unique.
If an app ID has been used in App Test by any user before, the app cannot be uploaded on App Test. In this case, you must change the app ID to unique ID in appinfo.json and repackage the app file to upload it on App Test successfully.
Q8. Can I upload hosted web app on App Test?
Yes, you can upload hosted web app. However, do not input the web server URL in URL field and upload IPK file which has redirection URL in index.html. See Creating a Hosted Web App for detailed description on how to create a hosted web app.
Q9. Can I upload a new app with app ID that has been used for uploading an app and then removed from App Test before?
No. You should always upload a new app with unique ID.
Even if an app is already removed from App Test, you cannot use the app ID which has been once used for uploading an app on App Test.
- Technical FAQ [Emulator] Getting execution log of Emulator (for Windows 7) 11-Jul-2014
In case of Windows 7, you can get a execution log of emulator in the order below.
- Go to the Emulator folder under the installation folder of webOS TV SDK.
Default installation path of webOS TV SDK:
- Open a rcu.ini file.
- Change the value of LOG_LEVEL to 5 and Save it.
- Start the Emulator.
- Then the execution log of emulator will be created under the following path:
If the error below is found on the log,
“YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:29,820 DEBUG [main] emul.VBoxCommand (VBoxCommand.java:244) - vboxmanage.exe: error: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS. (VERR_VMX_MSR_VMXON_DISABLED)”,
please follow the steps listed below.
- Restart your computer, and enter BIOS settings.
- Find “Virtualization” item and change the value to Enabled from Disabled.
(The item title may be different depending on the type of BIOS.)
- Save the changes and restart the computer.
- Run Oracle VirtualBox and the emulator.
- Go to the Emulator folder under the installation folder of webOS TV SDK.
- Technical FAQ [General] Can I use web app framework other than Enyo for webOS TV? 02-Jul-2014
Yes, you can. However, we recommend Enyo framework other than different web app frameworks because webOS TV already includes enyo core, that is you don't have to include enyo core, libraries, etc. in your app. Also, Enyo framework provides moonstone library for specific UI of webOS TV.
- Technical FAQ [General] How to check platform version of my TV? 25-Oct-2016
In LG Smart+ TV, go to Settings > Quick Settings > General > About this TV > webOS TV Version.
- Technical FAQ Enyo-related contents of the website are not supported on IE9 or below. 25-Dec-2013
Enyo-related contents of the website are not supported on IE9 or earlier version.
Enyo Sampler, Enyo Widget and Enyo API Guide pages are displayed fully on only IE 10, Chrome, Safari and Firefox.
Please consider upgrading to a newer version of Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.
- Technical FAQ [General] Overall process of how to design, develop, and distribute an application for webOS TV 23-Dec-2013
If you are a beginner of web app development for webOS TV, see Getting Started in this website.