JS Service Basics
JS service on webOS TV has the following characteristics:
- It runs in the background on webOS TV.
- It provides additional access to platform features such as low-level networking, file system access, and binary data processing.
- It performs tasks for one or more apps.
Typically you will use a service either to perform tasks that a webOS application can't do, or to do work by service in the background. Some examples of how services have been used in webOS applications in the past include:
- Downloading attachments in the background for an email reader
- Uploading images to a picture-sharing website from an application
- Performing a long-running computation or file operation
You can find out more about Node.js at the Node.js website.