The LG Smart TV is boxed with one of the two following remote control units:
- Magic Remote Control Unit allows for free pointing and clicking, as well as standard 5-way controls. Voice input and universal remote functionality are also provided.
- Conventional Remote Control Unit allows for standard 5-way controls, with additional physical keys as shortcuts to commonly used actions.
Magic Remote control unit
|Power, Volume, Mute, Voice||General system functions|
|Smart Home ()||Returns to Home Screen|
|Wheel||Scrolls content on hover|
|Navigation - Up||Moves focus to up|
|Navigation - Right||Moves focus to the right|
|Navigation - Down||Moves focus to down|
|Navigation - Left||Moves focus to the left|
Red, Green, Yellow, Blue
|Customizable by the app|
The following remote keys are available:
Media playback keys on a conventional remote control unit
On a conventional remote control unit, there are additional media playback keys listed in the following table, which do not exist on Magic Remote.
Basic pointer actions
Pressing Up, Down, Left, or Right key, while a pointer is active, will switch remote into 5-way modes.
In a 5-way input, the pointer function will be disabled.
Basic key actions
|Press||Performs the function mapped to the key.|
|Press and hold|
|Roll||Scroll up or down the content.|
Web apps can control the behavior of the remote's Back button. You can map the Back button to navigate the previous webpages or go to Home UI. Once the app is done handling the Back button, webOS TV will take over the behavior of the Back button. For more details, see Back Button.
Remote control & apps
- Pointer mode:
onmouseoverevent and the
- 5-way mode:
The arrow (Up, Down, Left, and Right) and the Enter keys are the major function keys in this mode. The scroll wheel is also active.
Here are additional tips and information about the navigation modes:
- Pressing any of the arrow keys (Up, Down, Left, or Right) while using pointer mode will switch the navigation mode to 5-way mode.
- Shaking the Magic Remote while in 5-way mode will switch the navigation mode to Pointer mode.
- When the Magic Remote is in 5-way mode, the cursor will not be displayed on the screen. In Pointer mode, the cursor is displayed on the screen. You can check the cursor visibility with the
- The LG Smart+TV's primary input mode is Pointer mode but all apps MUST also support 5-way mode. Developing functions that do not support the "5-way" input should be avoided.
- The Moonstone and Sandstone libraries support both Pointer mode and 5-way modes of LG remote control.
- While the overlay type system UI such as Launcher or Settings menu is displayed on the screen, apps cannot receive the pointer events. You can check it using the
onblurevent and the
onfocusevent from your app.
- On touch-enabled TV devices, the Touch Remote interface is provided. For details, see Touch Remote interface.