Launching Your App
We have been decided to no longer support the IDE from 2022. We recommend that you use the VS Code extension instead.
Before launching your web app, you must package and install your app on a target device. By clicking the Run Configurations or Debug Configurations menu, the following three steps proceed one by one:
Step 1. Package
You can package your app in the following two modes:
Minify mode reduces the size of source codes when creating a package file (.ipk). It adjusts and shrinks variable names and line spacing. It also merges multiple files into a single file to reduce the source code size and file loading time. You can use the minify mode to install your app on the target device or submit your app to LG Seller Lounge.
Non-minify mode skips the process of minifying source codes and creates a package file with the source code. You can use the non-minify mode to debug your app.
Step 2. Install
Immediately after your app is packaged, the package file is installed on a selected target device.
Step 3. Launch
The installed app is launched automatically on the target device.
The webOS TV emulator is a tool that provides you with a similar environment as webOS TV on your computer. If you want to emulate your app before launching it on webOS TV, running the app on the emulator is recommended first.
Following shows how to package, install, and launch your app in the webOS TV IDE with one step:
- Select your project which you want to launch in the Project Explorer.
- Click webOS Menu > Run webOS Application from the menu. Or, you can launch your web app with the following ways:
- Click Run > Run from the menu.
- Click the toolbar icon.
- On the Run Configurations window, double-click webOS Application in the tree view on the left side of the window to create a new configuration.
- In the webOS tab, check your app name and select a target device in the list. If the app name is not entered, click the Browse button to select an app.
- If you have service(s) to package with the app, follow the steps below. If not, skip this step.
- Click the Include Service Projects option in the Project Reference.
- Select the webOSService tab.
- Select the service(s) to package with the app.
- Then, click Run to launch your app on the target device.
If the Run button is not activated, connect an IDE with the target device. See Configuring Target on how to connect with the target device. To launch your app in the emulator, you must launch the emulator on your computer in advance.
You can launch or close your web app on Launcher and App Manager of the emulator. Refer to App Testing on webOS TV to install the package file on a real TV.